Versioning .zreproj (e.g. with TFS) and absoluteFilePath attribute

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Hi,

I want to add the .zreproj to a solution which is bound to TFS. The problem is that for every <file> tag, ZRE adds an attribute named absoluteFilePath, which I obviously don't want or need there (the solution has a policy of "download anywhere and it will run" because it uses only relative file paths).

I removed this attribute from each of my <file> tags and set the read-only flag on my .zreproj, so that it can't add it again. The problem with this is that the UI shows many errors when working.

Is there another way around this? Does absoluteFilePath really need to be there? Is it possible for an option to be added to the project as to control this?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2012 at 5:04 AM

Hi Gabriel

Usually, if the attribute is missing, ZRE still should worke quite well. So basically if you ignore the attribute, you should check-in/-out whereever you want.

Cheers
Uwe 

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply, and for this great tool.

So, you are saying that I shouldn't care about ZRE adding the attribute? I like my source-controlled files as clean as possible, without local machines' paths, but I guess I can live with it.

But, I still have one concern though. Every developer will have the .zreproj file set as read-only (because they will just download it, and not check-out it because they will not need to modify it), and they will get errors when ZRE tries to delete and or modify the file (I say delete because I read the stack trace of one exception, perhaps I'm wrong) because it is read-only (and they shouldn't need to check-out the file or remove the read-only flag from it from outside of the solution just to be able to use ZRE - moreover, in a solution which uses exclusive check-out (instead of shared), the "everyone checks-out the file" workaround wouldn't do).

I'm starting to think that it would be nice to have an option like "this project will be source-controlled" that hinted ZRE to not include the absoluteFilePath attribute and to not modify the .zreproj unless explicitly told so (or if it is read-only or something like that - of course it still needs a lot of thinking and designing).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks a lot,

Gabriel